Head of Governance
Head of Governance
One Birdcage Walk, London (hybrid working)
With over 115,000 members in 140 countries, the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) has been at the heart of the mechanical engineering profession since 1847.
We strive to improve the world through engineering by developing engineers, promoting engineering, informing opinion and encouraging innovation.
We are now looking for a Head of Governance to join the Institution.
As the Head of Governance, you will oversee our governance, compliance, audit and risk functions.
Leading our transition to a new strategy over a multiyear timeline, you will streamline decision-making and lead on best practice in governance.
You will oversee the process for identifying, reporting and mitigating risks and ensure internal policies and procedures are effective and consistent.
Additionally, you will:
- Manage our election process for Trustees and Council
- Act as the Data Protection Officer for the Information Commissioner’s Office
- Lead on the management of the corporate risk register
- Ensure adequate training and support in risk management and GDPR
- Manage the internal audit programme
To be considered as our Head of Governance, you will need:
- Experience of working in a governance or legal environment at senior level
- Experience of managing and developing a significant team, including senior professionals
- Project Management experience across a number of teams
- Experience of Professional body regulation, governance, and constitutional matters
- Knowledge of GDPR regulations and compliance requirements
- Strong communication skills and the ability to engage with a variety of stakeholders
- Excellent IT literacy including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills with key supplier contracts
- To hold an ICSA part or fully qualified governance professional qualification or equivalent experience covering qualification
Experience of leading on risk management and data protection would be beneficial to your application.
- Highly competitive salary
- 28 days’ holiday per annum plus Bank Holidays
- An extra day off for your birthday
- Benefits including stakeholder pension scheme, life assurance and private health cover
- Continuous training and career development
- A range of wellbeing benefits to encourage a healthy work-life balance
We are Investor in People accredited Gold, which reflects our organisation’s commitment to our people. We champion excellence and promote progression in all that we do, so you can be certain that your professional growth and success, as well as employee wellbeing, will be a priority for us.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual from a governance background to join our thriving organisation.
In this key role, you’ll be the lynchpin of governance, spearheading new ways of working and making your mark on the organisation. With no two days ever the same, you will thrive in this highly engaging and varied role.
So, if this sounds like the role you have been looking for, we would like to hear from you today!
The closing date for applications is 19th February 2023. Please note that interviews will be held on an ad hoc basis as suitable applicants apply and an immediate start is available for the right candidate.
We regret that we are unable to reply to each applicant, therefore, if you do not hear from us within 28 days of your application for this post you should assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Webrecruit and the Institution of Mechanical Engineers are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, to begin an exciting new phase of your career as our Head of Governance, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Can’t see the role you want? Register your details with us to be notified when we’re hiring!